The idea of a “girls’ night out” or a “guys’ weekend” sounds great in theory, but in practice, it’s not always possible to get together in person with your friends. Whatever the case may be, technology can help you host a fun virtual game night with your friends to enjoy from our Naperville apartments.
Prepping for Virtual Game Night
On the night of your virtual game night, pick a space in your home that’s comfortable to sit at and preferably has a nice background that you don’t mind your friends looking at. A kitchen or dining room table can be great for this, as they’ll provide a surface to prop your phone or laptop up at while also allowing you to sit comfortably throughout the night.
It can also be a good idea to get yourself any snacks or drinks you’ll want and set them up behind your phone so you can reach them without leaving the table and showing your friends a dead space. If you really want to go above and beyond, you can even send out a special drink or snack to your friends ahead of time so everyone can snack “together.”
Best Free “Game Night” Apps
There are countless free apps you can download to your phone or computer to make virtual game nights go off without a hitch. These apps include:
- Evil Apples: the free phone equivalent of Cards Against Humanity, this game isn’t for the faint of heart, but if you like that kind of humor, it can be a blast to play virtually.
- Psych!: Basically like Balderdash, this game has you create fake answers to real questions. Points are awarded if you can convince your friends to guess your lie instead of the truth.
- Scattergories: Roll a starting letter and come up with an answer for each category based on the letter you rolled. Great for the wordsmiths in the group.
Best Board Games to Play on Zoom
If you’re not an app person, or someone in the group doesn’t own a smartphone, pull out your laptop and set up Zoom. There are plenty of old-fashioned games you can play without an app. All you need is video access. Some options include:
- Dungeons and Dragons: This game is a blast to play virtually as it requires nothing more than some dice, pen, and paper. Because this game can last several sessions, it’s perfect if you want to set up a recurring game night with your friends.
- Welcome To…: This is a write-and-erase game, which means that as long as everyone is willing and able to print off the score sheets, only the party host has to own the game. In this game, you play as real estate developers planning a set of neighborhoods. The person who owns the board game would be responsible for flipping the cards in view of the camera, but everyone can write their answers down on their own score sheets.
- Charades: If you’re willing to get a little silly, Charades is a game that translates perfectly over Zoom. You can even mute your screen if you’re the type of person who struggles to keep from making sound effects while acting out silent clues!
Have a Great Night with Your Friends No Matter Where You Are
Having strategies for virtual game nights out with your friends allows you to foster your social side no matter what life throws your way! If all that gaming made you hungry, be sure to check out some great burgers nearby! Contact us for information about coming home to our stunning community at Brookdale on the Park.Back to all posts